Saturday, September 4, 2010

Food, That's What I'm On About!

I was thinking I should start blogging again if for no other reason than it's easier to record online the crap that passes through my tiny brain than it is to write it down somewhere or, God forbid, actually try to remember anything. At least online the crap is searchable.

Anyway, lacking any ability to focus on any one topic for too long I've decided to rant generally about food, but any other thought that wanders aimlessly across my synaptic spaces is fair game as well. Flexibility is the key.

So, to the title of this here blog.

As a little background, I have become a vegetarian. Not a strict vegetarian; the kind of vegetarian who eats meat. As it turns out there is actually a term for this; flexitarian (aka semi-vegetarian). I like that. Flexible. Read indecisive. Non-committal. That's perfect for me.

So, a flexible vegetarian. And when you're talking flexible you are talking Gumby.

Et voilĂ , Gumbitarian!

Of course, when talking flexible one could also be talking Pokey, but pokeytarian might imply a diet of horsemeat and Pokemons.)

As a short aside, I was once on a mountain search and rescue training session at Joshua Tree. This was a joint session with the short-lived Idyllwild Mountain Rescue Team and members of the USMC from the nearby Twenty-Nine Palms Marine base. A few of us had just finished rigging some kind rappel anchor and one of the leaders asked us to move it to another location. One of the Marines immediately replied, "OK, Semper Gumby. Always Flexible." Semper gumby has been a part of my vocabulary ever since.

So, flexitarian. As I looked into this I discovered there are actually more "-tarians" than you can shake carrot stick at. Vegetarian, ovo vegetarian, lacto vegetarian, ovo-lacto vegtarian, pescatarin, vegan. Pollotarian?! Frutiarian?!!!

Flexitarian is as good a term as any for me. Because of all the vegetarian lunches I've ordered, co-workers occasionally ask, "Are you a vegetarian?" I usually tell them that I am eating a largely vegetarian diet, which in my case includes dairy, eggs, seafood and occasionally (often spectacularly), MEAT. Now I can simply say, "No, I am a Flexitarian!" Followed of course by, "A flexitarian is someone who eats a largely vegetarian diet, which in my case includes dairy, eggs, seafood and occasional meat." So I guess it won't actually save any time.

Flexitarian is apparently a better term than "semi-vegetarian" or "vegetarian who occasionally eats meat" because, like pregnancy, vegetarianism is sort of all or nothin'. True vegetarians apparently get pissy about terms like semi-vegetarian. The pissiness might be due to a protein deficiency.

Now then, why Flex?

Why am I consuming more vegetarian stuff? Good question.
  • Health Benefits? I do need to try to keep my cholesterol down and at my age could probably use the fiber, but since I've mostly substituted cheese in place of the meat, I'm not sure I'm getting the full benefit here. And I've been drinking a little heavily to console myself over the loss of my beloved carne asada, etc., so just about the time my arteries clear out my liver will fail.

  • Weight Loss? This might work. If I blog about everything I eat, the writer's cramp will be a powerful disincentive to eating so damn much.

  • Economy? Meat is expensive, so a largely vegetarian-based diet should save a fair amount of money. The flaw in this theory becomes apparent when you try meat substitutes; fake meat is pricier than the real thing. And Vegan Cheese! How can something be free of animal products when an arm and leg goes into the purchase?

  • Environment? Smaller Carbon Footprint? Well, maybe. I've read The Omnivore's Dilemma after all. But I think it might be better for the environment to just buy meat and dairy products from local providers to maintain at least a little open space in southern California. I will tell you one thing; I'm not offsetting any cow flatulence through vegetarianism. Those lentils are killers.

  • Family Bonding? Both of the boys have become vegetarian (college will do that to you) and Nick's girlfriend is vegan. Denise has jumped pretty much onto their bandwagon. I figure if I follow suit maybe my family will still love me.

  • Pure Challenge? This is getting close. Who doesn't love a challenge? Well, me actually. But I do like to try new things in the kitchen and vegetarian meals are certainly new to me.

Anyway, I am off on a new tangent. We will see where this one leads. Next up, THE BEST PIZZA I EVER MADE.

1 Comments:

Blogger Garage Sailing said...

I'm so happy that you have a new blog! I miss your old one.

"Semper Gumby" is going to be my new mantra at work.

September 5, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home