Saturday, September 25, 2010

Have a Nice Day!

I was roasting jalapeƱos and tomatillos from the garden this morning and was greeted by this.================>>>>

I am taking this as a good omen.  However, I might have ruined any good kharma by throwing his smiling face along with his compadres into the blender, thence to the frying pan and finally into our breakfast.

I thought today to discuss one of my recent departures from vegetarianism.  A couple weekends ago, Denise decided she could go for a good hot dog.  With that Monday night being the start of the Chargers football season I suggested we do a tailgating dinner and watch the game.

So Monday, night it was kraut dogs with mustard (and habanero sauce, in my case), garlic fries, jalapeƱo poppers and wedge salads with bleu cheese dressing.  Decadent! And somewhat disgusting, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The good news is that these dogs were from Henry's, all natural beef, with no artificial additives or preservatives.  The bad news is that they were uncured; the package did not mention the diagnosis.  I guess if they had found a cure, the cow would still be out grazing.

The dogs got me started on a train of philosophical thought, pondering some of life's deep mysteries, like why are hot dogs sold in packages of eight while buns are sold in packages of six.  You have to serve 24 dogs just to get the numbers to work out.

And on the subject of dog mysteries, the following morning I was listening to NPR's Susan Stamberg interviewing Patti LuPone and she used the phrase "work like a dog."  I considered the phrase and realized I have no idea what it means.  Seriously, I could not think of a scenario where a dog was "working like a dog."  Take my dog; sleeps about 80% of the time. With the remainder of his day he naps, drools, begs for cheese and periodically scares himself.   Sled dogs?  They aren't working, they are psychotically addicted to running.  Any dogs classified as "working dogs" don't really seem to be working at all; they are engaging in productively applied play.   After considerable thought I arrived at seeing-eye-dogs, who probably have the most difficult job of any dog; suppressing their natural doggieness and focusing on guiding their masters.

That evening I watched Castaway.  There is a scene where Tom Hanks has marked one of those figure-eight thingies that plot the seasonal track of the sun.  I was trying to think of what those are called, for some reason the term astrolabe coming to mind.  I was pretty sure that was wrong, an astrolabe being some kind of astronomical instrument, so I Googled something like "astronomy figure eight thing" and the first hit was analemma.  Bingo!

So I drilled into the Wikipedia definition of analemma, maybe to brush up on my astronomy.  I could barely get past the pronunciation.  Clicking the pronunciation link, I was directed to the Wikipedia IPA page, IPA for International Phonetic Alphabet not, unfortunately, India Pale Ale.  Making neither heads nor tails of IPA, I returned to analemma, linking out to topics like obliquity (axial tilt), eccentricity and the angle between the apse line and the line of solstices, all of which go into determining size and shape of the analemma.  At some point I came across something called the "right hand grip rule" and the following sentence.  "In a two-body problem with inverse-square-law force, every orbit is of conic section shape, or part of a straight line."   ?!?

Ouch, all this deep thinking makes my head hurt.  I believe I will return to my IPA.


4 Comments:

Blogger Garage Sailing said...

This post makes me happy.
Thank you. I think I may use the tomatillo photo as a screen saver.

September 25, 2010 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

That tomatillo is too cute. That 'rt hand grip rule' thing is making my head hurt too. I read it like 4 times - and kept coming up w/ nuthin'.

September 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Tee said...

i love the tomatillo photo!!

September 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Joe says to tell you he thinks that may have been the Blessed Virgin you blended up.

September 26, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home