Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vegies? Veggies?

My wife informs me that I am in error when using the term "vegies."  She feels the correct term is "veggies".

Either term is intended as a slang contraction of the word vegetables.  With vegetables having only one gee, vegies must therefore be the correct spelling. Vegetables, one gee, vegies, one gee.  Q.E.D.

My Blogger editor begs to differ, highlighting vegies as misspelled and suggesting veggies in its place.

Google too seems to be lobbying for veggies; as a search for vegies results in "Did you mean: veggies?".  Bastards!  They do actually bring up a lot of hits for vegies though.

The online dictionaries I've checked all state something like "Veggie; also vegie", so apparently a double-gee is preferred, even if nonsensical.

For now, I believe I will use the slang less traveled and stick with vegie.

If someone has a compelling argument for "gg," please help me out.

And while you're helping, I could use some help with punctuation and quotation marks.  As my opening paragraph demonstrates, I don't know if the punctuation goes in- or outside the quotes.

3 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

I'm a fan of two gees. I think it sh/be two because if only one, it would be pronounced vee-gies - at least if what I remember learning about spelling/pronunciation in grade school is right. (As i recall, if there's a double consonant you split them and one each goes w/ each syllable, and then the vowel in the first syllable is pronounced w/ a short vowel sound - like "latter." If there's only one consonant, it goes w/ the second syllable and the vowel in the first syllable has the long vowel sound. Like "later.") But then, I could be totally wrong, as I am generally pretty clueless about these things.

September 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the puncuation goes inside the quotations. Jane Griffin :)

October 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Rob said...

GG would sound like "guh" and not "juh." See: doggies, buggies, piggies, druggies, baggies, and egg. For the correct sound in vegies, use a single G; see: age, vegetable, digit, gel, gem, and gin.

March 2, 2016 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home