Sunday, October 31, 2010

Ah, Much Better!

Watched the Rally to Restore Sanity/Fear yesterday morning and my mood  improved dramatically,  enough so that I posted the recipe for Sans-Burger Bean Pot, what I made for dinner last night.  Made enough to choke a horse, so we will be having left over Bean Pot for quite a while.

I had intended to do a bunch of plumbing yesterday, so that my Sunday would be free for brewing another batch of beer (this one's going to be an experiment for a possible holiday brew.)  I managed to get some work done, but unfortunately, my wife fell asleep on the couch instead of going to Home Depot to get the parts I needed, so I ended up watching college football the rest of the day.

So today was the major plumbing day.  Managed to get the boys bathroom mostly done and completed the hot-water recirculating loop, so we can stop running cold water down the shower drain every morning, waiting for the hot.  In the summer we catch the cold in a bucket and use it to water the garden, but there's not much point in that when it's raining.

There's nothing like wrestling around under a bathroom vanity trying to contort yourself into a position where you can install a bunch of valves.  I am pretty whooped after an afternoon of all that crap.

So I threw together something for dinner and now I'm having a Jack Daniel's, blogging and splitting my attention between the Woild Series and Sunday Night Football.  I'm also keeping an ear open for Trick-or-Treaters, but there's not much chance of any of those showing up.

I have an experiment in the oven, a variation of a recipe on Epicurious, Pumpkins Stuffed with Everything Good.  I am taking liberties, because believe it or not on Halloween Day I could not find a standard pumpkin after trying at two different markets.  So I ended up with these little guys, which I hope will work just as well.
video

I'm using a mix of White Bread and Dark Rye Bread.  Neither was stale as called for in the recipe so I dried some slices out in the oven.  Unfortunately, some of the bread broke into crumbs when I pulled it off the racks and now the oven is smoking like a chimney.

Oooh, wow!  I had some leftover filling, so I just threw it in a ramekin and baked it up with the pumpkins.  Just checked on the pumpkins and they need another 15 minutes or so, but the ramekin was done.  Darn tasty little savory bread pudding!


Oh well, I will post a little update after dinner to let you know how it all turns out.  For now, I think another beverage is in order and then a quick search of the Video on Demand to see what sort of Zombie fare is available for this evening's viewing.

Happy Halloween!

Serve with a glass of Julian Hard Cider and it's a meal all by itself.  Pretty darned tasty, although no Flying Dutchman.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hanten said...

FYI, slim Zombie pickin's on NetFlix. So it's An American Werewolf in London. We had the option of Zombie Strippers, with Jenna Jameson, on video on demand, but I think I'll stick with a classic.

October 31, 2010 at 8:27 PM  
Blogger khanten said...

Those pumpkins looked yummy! And I haven't had hamburger bean pot in forever.

November 1, 2010 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Yeah, those pumpkins did indeed look very delicious! Maybe even as tasty as a Flying Dutchman.

I enjoyed AAWiL - haven't seen that in forever.

November 1, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Never have considered eating those pumpkins he used. Always buy them as decoration. They were pretty good. They actually have the stringyness of spaghetti squash only more subtle or smaller threads. They aren't super sweet which was just right to cut the richness of the filling. And man-o-man, that filling was sooooo good.

November 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home