Friday, November 12, 2010

I Miss My Dog!

I am irritated.  I am currently on the I-210.  Denise is at the helm.  It's 3:20 in the PM.  We should have been here hours ago.  Oh well, what else should I expect.

I had intended to take a vacation day today, but it turned out to be the only really good day to do some work that desperately needed to be done in our El Cajon plant.  I got down there extra early this morning in the hope of being out of El Cajon by 10:00, home by 11:00 and OTR by Noon. 

No such luck.  Things went surprisingly well in El Cajon, given the frequently contrary nature of technology, but I still didn't manage to get out of the plant until around 11:40 or so.  Undeterred, I left a message for Denise asking her to pack my clothes, figuring I could still get on the road by 1:00 and proceeded to set a new land speed record, in the driveway by 12:30.

I needn't have bothered.  At home, Denise was still in the shower. Didn't manage to get on the road until 1:45 or thereabouts.

We have been on the road about an hour and 45 minutes, 30 of which were spent getting gas at Costco and stopping at Denise's office so she could drop off some paperwork.  So now, an hour and forty-five into our trip, I miss my Leo terribly.  Also, an hour and forty-five in, Denise has to stop and pee.

To make matters worse, my Jack Daniels on the rocks ran out a while ago.  Don't get upset, it was in my travel mug and I had the top on it, so it was NOT an open container.

While riding, I've been working on my laptop, taking care of email, etc.  To kill time I have my iPod hooked up to the car stereo playing some NPR Tiny Desk Concerts that I mentioned in an earlier post.  One group podcast I particularly like is by Stile Antico.  Very cool.  You should really, REALLY check out that podcast.

Anyway, as they were singing I said, "I really like this group.  They sing these songs from like the 16th or 17th century." (Or something like that, what do I know about music.)

Denise: ”Are these modern singers, singing 16th century songs or….”

Me: "Actual recordings of 16th century singers?”

Denise: “I guess that was going to be a stupid question.”

I'm in a much better mood now!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hanten said...

OK, someone might appreciate this...I was just double-checking the editing in this post and noticed "undetered" and thought 'Hmm, should that be one R or two?

A quick Google search on "undetered" turned up the Urban Dictionary, "a brown stain...left in underwear." Get it? "Undie Turd."

November 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM  
Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Jack on the rocks is my favorite...but not in the car!

I did buy some at a garage sale this morning, though. No kidding...whiskey at a garage sale.

November 13, 2010 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

That is funny about the 16th orig'l recordings.

But the undie turd thing is gross. Perhaps your male audience will appreciate it.

November 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Jim, two things: 1. Went to Aldo Leopold's place with Kegan this summer. Incredible! I can see why you like The Sand County Almanac. 2. Denise has commented on my blog and I would like to write her back but I don't have a current e-mail. Please be the messenger! Great reading! Ciao.

November 27, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home