Thursday, November 11, 2010

Taking Sides

I think I've come upon one of the great challenges of vegetarianism; it seems like I'm only eating side dishes, never a main course.

And as I think about it I realize that I really like side dishes.  Scalloped Potatoes. Spaghetti with Sand.  Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Roasted Red Potatoes with Olive Oil, Garlic and Rosemary.  Spanish Rice.  Refried Beans.  All delicious, but there's something missing when you sit down to a nice meal of scalloped potatoes; the medium rare pepper crusted filet mignon, Sautéed Chicken Thighs with Fried Sage Leaves.  Mountain Oysters.

Oh, well, I'll just have to get over it.  Or at least work on my flexibility.

On the subject of Rocky Mountain Oysters, let's turn to my elbow.

I believe that in my previous blog post I mentioned a trip to Urgent Care for a prescription for an infected elbow.  At the time it was completely swollen, red and painful.  Four days into a course of Keflex it is looking much better.  The swelling and redness are mostly gone, but what remains is a fairly taut little ball the feels like nothing quite so much as, well, a testicle.  OK, some of you may not have experienced the feeling of a testicle.  You'll have to trust me on this.  The texture's about right and if you bop it on something the pain is pretty close...maybe not.

And as long as we're talking testicles, let's talk about the iPad.  Actually, there's no correlation between the iPad and testicles, except that maybe it takes a lot of them to market a product that is nothing more than a big iPhone without the phone.

The reason I bring up iPads is that I am evaluating one for work.  Playing with it to see if there is any actual business justification for purchasing these things.  I had pretty much decided that they were, A) pretty cool. and B) pretty pointless.  They can't replace a PC or laptop, in fact you need a computer running iTunes to activate the thing.  So why would you buy a laptop and then shell out another $500 for an iPad.

I had pretty much decided the iPad was totally pointless until in the course of downloading apps I stumbled across Epicurious for the iPad.  What the heck, it was free.  Of course I downloaded it.  I popped it open, clicked the "Veggie Holiday" (cursed double-gee again, damn you) and there it was, the killer iPad app.

Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges with Smoked Chile Cream.  Potato Gratin with Mushroom and Gruyère.  Sage, Onion and Wild-Rice Risotto Cakes.

Oh boy, something new.  Bring on the sides.

2 Comments:

Blogger khanten said...

I just saw a guy using an iPad the other day and was thinking it would be cool to have. Now I think, skip it. And those sides sound fabuloso.

November 14, 2010 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger BJackie said...

I told you it was double-gee! If Epicurious uses it that way, it must be right!

Can we look forward to some of those sides at T.giving?

November 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home