Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Stomach Hurts

My stomach has been bothering me for the last couple evenings and now I'm confronted with what the deal is.  Possibilities seem to be any of the following...

  1. Withdrawal pains from the sudden denial of all things Turkey
  2. Some previously undetected allergy to vital wheat gluten, a reaction stemming from the Chickpea Cutlets (which were really quite good I thought)
  3. A parasitic infection from the raw oysters I fed myself on Saturday (Leo shows no ill effects, but then he was smart enough to wait until I cooked the thing)
  4. The long awaited ulcer from...
  5. a)...too many spicy foods, b)...too much stress at work, c)...too much alcohol, d)...too much of all of the above.
Assuming that this is stemming from just a lack of good old comfort food, I am making macaroni and cheese, with Cheddar, Gruyere and Fontina.  Also assuming that the problem is not related to 4-a, I have added cumin, cayenne pepper and diced poblano peppers to the recipe.  And slathering habanero sauce on top.

Oh, and I guess I'm assuming it's not 4-c, since I poured myself a Jack and water a little while ago.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Last night I had to do something with the salmon fillet that I purchased over the weekend, so a couple nice hunks went on the grill, served with some Pasta Putanesca (more spicy food) and a little green salad.  As to the remainder of the salmon, a dry brine was applied and it is now waiting in the fridge for a date with my smoker.  It's that wonderful time of the year, smoking salmon in December.

After dinner I had decided to observe the anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, only to realize I don't own a single Pearl Harbor related movie.  I mean, I have "Pearl Harbor", but that's not exactly a Pearl Harbor movie.  Maybe some old "World At War" VHS tapes, but no DVDs.  A shortcoming of my DVD collection that needs to be rectified ASAP.

Anyway, I think the Mac n' Cheese passes muster.  We'll see about its medicinal effects.

5 Comments:

Blogger khanten said...

Yum, that mac 'n cheese sounds good! That Pearl Harbor movie stunk (watched it in Egypt last year when we were jet lagged and couldn't sleep). You need to get a copy of From Here to Eternity for your PH memorial.

December 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Going out on a limb here but I say Jim's poblano mac and cheese was better than that of our favorite restaurants, including Stone Brewery, The Public House and Yardhouse. Not as overwhelmingly rich as there's.
I must add another possibility to Jim's ailments. #5 - the flu. He came home from work and is burning hot with fever and has some virus. Poor guy.

December 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Bummer! I hope you are feeling better. Get some rest.

December 11, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Mike Kerr said...

Personally, I have to credit the chuckpeas cutlets for all your recent gastrointestinal distress. Hey bro! Just got your Christmas card, thanks. Will be in socal next week and will try to stop by.

December 13, 2010 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Mike Kerr. Wow - there's a name from the past. Hope you guys get to meet up.

Hope your better from your bout w/ the flu. That mac n cheese sounds delicious! (Except for the habanero sauce.)

See you guys this weekend!

December 17, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home