Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy New Year's Resolutions!

Belated Happy New Year!  But then, I did wish everyone an early Happy New Year in my previous post, so I'm not going to stress about being late in this case.

I have not, in fact, made any New Year's Resolutions, New Year's Resolutions being only so much crap.  I don't know that I've ever kept for one more than about a day or two.

This year, Nick, sometime around New Year's Day, was reading his list of "101 things to do in 1001 Days", being promoted by a web site, Day Zero Project.  I decided I like the concept much better than resolutions.  This is much simpler; making a list of all the things that you're always saying you want to do some day and giving yourself a time frame to get them done.

Now I assume the list is supposed to be things you WANT to do, but I have include things that I HAVE to do; otherwise, I'll never get 101 things done.

So, anyway here is my first pass at the 101 things I'm going to do in the next 1001 days (actually, next 995, because 6 days have already elapsed since I completed the list.)  The list needs some reflection and probable adjustment, because I'm not sure this is all humanly possible, especially for someone in my condition (and by that I mean married.)

101 Thing to do Before September 28, 2013
  1. Don't die (this would make the rest rather difficult)
  2. Finish the master bed/bathroom remodel
  3. Visit the Smithsonian
  4. Go somewhere where I need my passport (my passport has nary a stamp on it)
  5. Finish reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series
  6. Learn to make really good sourdough bread
  7. Eat Chicago-style pizza in Chicago
  8. Weigh what is says on my driver's license
  9. Bench-press my body weight (i.e. lose 150 lbs)
  10. Double my gas mileage
  11. Learn a language
  12. Hike in Yosemite
  13. Visit Yellowstone
  14. Hike to the summit of San Jacinto Peak
  15. Cure some olives (no matter what ails them)
  16. Read "Lost Moon" by Jim Lovell
  17. Use the public library
  18. Take a photography class
  19. Make cheese
  20. Attend a brewing class (Nicholas has kindly provided me with tickets to "Strong Ales" at Stone Brewing Company for January 24, so if I can avoid #1 for that long, #29 should be in the bag.)
  21. Run a 5K (I also had run a 10K, but since that's just doing a 5K two more times I decided it didn't count)
  22. Visit Death Valley
  23. Attend Shakespeare festival in Ashland, OR
  24. Make tortillas from scratch
  25. Grow rhubarb
  26. See a play
  27. Stalk a celebrity
  28. Learn a new card game
  29. Tour a civil war battlefield
  30. Sample bourbon at a distillery
  31. Take a cooking class
  32. Learn to grow olives
  33. Plan our house remodel
  34. Design an outdoor kitchen
  35. Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity
  36. Develop an excellent black-bean burger recipe
  37. Blow glass
  38. Learn to make neon signs
  39. Have dinner in Idyllwild
  40. Swim in the ocean
  41. Grow my own barley
  42. Brew a beer from scratch (see #41)
  43. Make pastrami (from scratch)
  44. Digitize my LPs
  45. Build a media server
  46. Digitize our videos
  47. Digitize our photos
  48. Manage our investments
  49. Rent a storage locker and clean out the house
  50. Build a storage shed
  51. Build paver walkways
  52. Build retaining walls
  53. Build a brewing station for storing all my stuff
  54. Build a proofing/fermenting box
  55. Reprogram my universal remote
  56. Install an IR remote repeater
  57. Get a remote controlled AV power supply
  58. Investigate solar power for our house
  59. Investigate a solar tube for the hallway in our house
  60. Hike in the Grand Canyon, maybe stay at Phantom Ranch
  61. Have dinner at Cold Springs Tavern
  62. Host a Feast of the Seven (or more) International Fish Dishes
  63. Let someone else cook my birthday dinner
  64. Avoid the urge to dye my hair/get a tattoo/buy a corvette/dump my wife for a younger woman
  65. Encourage Denise to dye her hair/get a tattoo/buy a corvette/dump her husband for a younger man
  66. Decorate with a home-grown Christmas tree
  67. Improve the lighting in this house
  68. Mow the grass with a push mower (don't tell anyone at Toro)
  69. Probably not again in this lifetime
  70. Learn massage
  71. Get a massage (71-a; get back waxed first)
  72. Ski
  73. Waterski
  74. Ride a bike (get a bike)
  75. Dress up and go out
  76. Play tennis
  77. Shoot hoops
  78. Use or lose the boat
  79. Listen to podcasts/audiobooks on the commute
  80. Carpool
  81. Ride bike to the market(s)
  82. Walk to the mall for lunch
  83. Use or lose the golf clubs
  84. Visit Anchor Brewing
  85. Visit Alpine Brewing
  86. Build music boxes with the movements I've had forever
  87. Find a nice spot for Dannie's cremains
  88. Organize my recipes
  89. Create a reading nook
  90. Figure out how to keep Leo from getting so muddy when it rains
  91. Organize the garage so we can get a car in it and still use it as a workshop
  92. Install a dust collection system
  93. Get a new bed
  94. Have my knives professionally sharpened
  95. Plant ground cover on the hill
  96. Design/plant a kitchen herb garden
  97. Build a greenhouse
  98. Convert Nick's old room into my office/exercise/reading/media room
  99. Use Wii Fit more often
  100. Join a CSA
  101. Buy locally, sustainably raised, meat
Contigencies (since I will almost certainly have to drop some of the above)
  1. Eat a Twinkie with a straw
  2. Stalk of celery (in case stalking a celebrity doesn't work out)
  3. More to come...
As of this evening, I can strike #17.  I now have a card at the Temecula Public Library and checked out my first book since leaving Flagstaff in 1995.  The book in question?  "Bonk" by Mary Roach.  I just finished "Stiff" and enjoyed it so much I plan to have myself composted, assuming that Promessa has a licensee somewhere in the United States by the time that I shuffle off this mortal coil.  Who knows, I could, quite literally, be pushing up daisies.

But enough for now.  I'll go into this all more later.

Next post - update on all the food news from the past several weeks, including the Pumpkin-Seitan Enchiladas.

Oh, and BTW, I posted a short update on Jake's Rehab with his latest facial x-ray.  In case anyone is interested.

Bye for now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Re: #64. How about 1 out of 4? And I'm not saying which one.

January 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Maybe we'll make a list too. 101 is a lot to come up with though...

I hope our old mower will aid you in achieving #68. It hasn't been used in about 10 years so prob'y needs a bit of TLC.

January 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Tee said...

6 and 34 are my favorites!! I'm looking forward to the pumpkin seitan enchiladas recipe :)

January 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re. #44 -- I have a like-new ION USB turntable that is yours if you'd like to have it. Jon gave it to me for Christams a couple of years ago. We digitized 2 albums, and I was not a fan of the process. Want it?
Terry

January 13, 2011 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger beany malone said...

hello from a friend of Jackie's... i saw this awesome list and couldn't resist sharing a couple resources in case it helps you achieve more than less- i hope you don't mind.

re: 38-- Lili Lakich's neon studio is next door to my office in dtLA. She's an amazing neon artist who recently started doing workshops for beginners: www.lakich.com

and re:100-- www.inlandempirecsa.com A friend in Redlands recommends it, and thru one of the related farms she does #101.

good luck- it sounds like a (mostly) fun adventure!
paula d

January 31, 2011 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger Hanten said...

Thanks Beany/Paula.

www.lakich.com looks pretty cool.

Our check is actually in the mail to the Inland Empire CSA, so I should be posting about that soon.

February 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home