Thursday, January 27, 2011

More Food Related News

On the food front, Nicholas made another attempt at seitan, this one a "Corned Seitan" ostensibly reminiscent of corned beef.  It tasted like moose turd pie; it was good though.  Just kidding, it was good, but nothing like corned beef.  More like barbecued brisket, which may have been better anyway.  Made some delicious Cheddar and Seitan Melts on Sourdough.




Now is as good a time as ever for the obligatory photo of Leo.  
I call this one "Waiting for Seitan."

Last Saturday, Nicholas helped me with my work on the retaining wall I'm building at the base of our backyard hill (credit toward #52 on the Gumbilist.)  I am assembling this with railroad ties, which are a pain in the butt to wrestle around.  To reward myself, I made pizza's using  frozen dough from a batch I made a week or two previous.  This was a dough experiment; I figured if it worked it would streamline my pizza making going forward.  The crust was actually better out of the freezer than when it was fresh. Frozen dough did not actually save any time; it took a couple hours to thaw and reach room temperature.  But it did save a bunch of labor.


Anyway, two flavors - Spicy Seitan with Frank's Red Hot Sauce and Red Onions and a mixed vegie with marinara, spinach, basil, fresh tomato, olive, mushroom and a little fresh jalapeno.  Here we have photos of the work in progress, still on the peel, and the finished product.











Finally, on Sunday, I ended up wrestling railroad ties again, this time mostly by myself, Nicholas having figured out that he had some, ah, pressing engagement, yeah that's it.

It had occurred to me that it's been a while since we observed "Dutch Oven Sunday" with the Pims, so I extended an invitation.

I was beat from beating on railroad ties, so I refreshed myself with a bunch of from scratch Margaritas (our lime tree will not stop producing) whirled up in our new KitchenAid blender.  They were yummy, but debilitating come Monday AM.

Dinner consisted of Dutch Oven Layered Enchiladas with roasted Poblano chiles, onions and crimini mushrooms, Spanish Rice and Dutch Oven Pintos with Chorizo (excuse me, Soy-rizo.) and a salad courtesy of Alma.  Good eats, good drinks and good friends.


2 Comments:

Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Oh, man. That Dutch Oven Sunday stuff looks fabulous. (and I always love the obligatory Leo photo)

January 29, 2011 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

All the food pics are torture - esp'y since I'm starving and waiting for Mike to come home so we can eat lunch. (I also always love the obligatory Leo photos. Keep them coming. And I can't believe how tall Donovan is now!)

January 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home