Sunday, January 16, 2011

Remiss in My Duties

I had promised two posts ago that my next post would be about some of the food stuffs prepared over the holidays and I have failed thus far to produce.  So, here's what will be a quick update on many of the food stuffs consumed.

Started off the New Year with a Cross-Eyed Mary.  See photo.
I have to say that I make a pretty good Bloody Mary, cross-eyes or no.

Tee was kind enough to cook our New Year's breakfast, Beer Waffles with blue berry sauce.  The recipe, from Vegetarian Times, was supposed to be for Apple-Cinnamon Waffles, but we were using Sea Dog Blue Paw Wheat Ale, so we skipped the cinnamon-apple.  Blue Paw is pretty awesome; when you open a bottle it smells like blueberry pancakes.

The waffles were excellent!  I actually scored an assist with the blue berry sauce, adapting something from a strawberry crepe recipe; butter (actually vegan margarine), sugar, orange juice, frozen blueberries and a little splash of Gran Marnier.  Easy and delicious!

Produce from the garden, clamoring to be harvested, ended up on the New Years Dinner table.  It was another iteration of Baked Penne with Cauliflower and White Beans, made with another one of those pretty pumpkin-colored cauliflowers from Denise's garden.   (The broccoli ended up in some broccoli-cream soup, courtesy of Denise, also delicious.)

Somehow we failed to get a photo of the finished product, but we do have a shot of the work in progress.  Ultimately, not bad at all.  In fact, this might be turning into one of my favorite baked pastas.



At some point, Nicholas went into league with Seitan, whipping up a seitan stir-fry.  The seitan recipe, from somewhere on the web, he modified by leaving out the Worcestershire and adding 2 Tbsp Braggs Liquid Amino.  The result tasted surprising like chicken.  Actually, I guess not surprisingly; everything tastes like chicken.  The stir-fry was fabulous.


Since we had a bunch of leftover seitan and some canned pumpkin enchilada sauce burning a hole in my pantry, I went with pumpkin enchiladas for dinner later in the week.  This was essentially the same recipe that I did quite a while ago and posted about in Jake's Rehab.  The filling for this one was a little sauteed onion and garlic with chopped seitan and a few herbs and spices; Mexican Oregano and cumin and maybe some other stuff that escapes me.

The finished products were very good.  Actually, I had to make two different versions one with and one without seitan.  The reason, surprisingly enough, was that the seitan tasted too much like chicken.  I think Natalie couldn't convince herself that she was not eating meat with the seitan, so I made a batch that was just cheese only.

Happily, the pressure-canning of the pumpkin enchilada sauce was apparently successful, none of us succumbing to botulinus intoxication.  I breathed a huge sigh of pumpkin-scented relief.

We washed that all down with a Lukcy 13asartd from Stone Brewery.


Over the weekend, it was a late lunch of nachos while watching some game on the telly; what it was was football.

Beyond this point we get into my 101 Things to Do In 1001 Days, so I think my next update will be in that blog.  When the time comes, I will update my...

...Black Bean Burgers Part Deux




And my Guacamole on a Half-Shell.


See you later.


4 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

Leo looks so handsome. Assume he is waiting for a bite of black bean burger. They look yummy. Never had that seitan stuff before. It even kinda looks like chicken.

January 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Garage Sailing said...

That cauliflower is beautiful.
Your blog makes me feel like a lazy slob.

January 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger khanten said...

Can you get that granola recipe from Tee? I loved that. Thanks.

January 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

It was good, huh? She posted the recipe on her blog, http://vegalicioustee.blogspot.com/
She also has a link to her and Nicks List of 101 things to do in 1001 days. Her class blog on Food Justice is kinda interesting too. I've enjoyed it.

January 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home