Sunday, April 10, 2011

Soup Again?!

OK, I must be getting old, because I'm increasingly having soup.  Voluntarily!  I mean usually soup is reserved for combating the common cold or the frigid depths of winter (such as they are in Southern California), but I made soup twice in the last week.  This time it was Minestrone and a side salad (Thank you Denise), but note the similarity to the blog before last, lentil soup and salad.  They are practically the same photo.

I will say this; minestrone = canellini beans.  Lentil soup = lentils.  Minestrone wins, hands down, if for no other reason than the reduced carbon footprint (methane is a greenhouse gas.)

I also give the nod to minestrone because of the Parmesan cheese shavings on top.  And I went with the Italian theme, what with Nicholas in Italia and all.

What it really comes down to is this: you can use up a heck of a lot of produce in soup.  I was able to use up a couple more leeks, another quart of vegetable stock and entire bag of spinach and probably a few other trace veggies.  With Denise's efforts on the salad we were actually able to get all of our produce back into the refrigerator produce drawers!!!  A first since joining the CSA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home