Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spaceflight, Headgear and Taking Inventory

First a little tribute to Yuri Gagarin, first man in space, on this the 50th anniversary of his flight.  NASA had what I thought was a totally cool tribute.  Another one of those little things that makes me appreciate how little I've accomplished; I can neither fly in space nor play the flute.

Also a brief tribute to Nicholas who, before heading for Italy, brought me and Denise each a little going away present.  The gift is a Buff, multifunction headgear with 12 ways to wear.  It's even a UV Buff, providing 95%  ultraviolet protection.

Here I am modeling the Buff in the Sahariane style, a look that reminds me of Ian Anderson, but without the boyish good looks.

I should have been wearing it this weekend while gardening.  I would have saved myself a sunburn on the top of my little hair thinning head.

Leo, much to his chagrin, is modeling the hood style.



It was CSA pick up day today, after a week of herculean efforts to consume our allotment of produce.  Last night's effort was vegetarian lasagna, in which I used up a ton of broccoli and rainbow chard.  (It was delicious by the way.)


So, today I made Denise wait to transfer the contents of the CSA box into the fridge until I had time to document everything we have to eat for the next week.  I have to devise some plan.

Left in the fridge, before we even opened the box we had...

  • Big bag of mixed salad greens
  • Beets
  • Cilantro
  • Leek
  • Broccoli
  • Mustard greens
  • Kale
  • Some other kind of salad greens (a big bag of this leafy vegetables with a lavenderish central rib and these very frilly edges - have no idea what it is)
  • Arugula
  • Still other greens
  • Collard greens
  • And a bit of remaining lettuce
Add to that the contents of the box we received today...
  • Big bag of spinach
  • Head of red-leaf lettuce
  • Rainbow chard
  • Kale
  • Mixed greens
  • Cilantro
  • Mustard greens
  • Leeks
  • White radishes
  • White carrots
  • Beets
  • Green garlic
  • Bok Choy
  • Kohlrabi
  • Broccoli
  • Lemons (4)
  • Oranges (7)
  • And a baby's arm holding an apple (Name that tune?)
Would anyone like a little salad?

4 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

Good grief. That's a lotta veggies! I emailed our CSA guy to ask if he's ever coming back and haven't heard anything. I like our guy cuz it's not such an overwhelming amount of stuff and we can get it every other week, which makes it way easier to get through it all.

(You could make kale chips to use up the kale. They are very tasty!)

BTW, that lasagna looks fabulous!

April 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Fishtank said...

Technically the Buffs were also a gift to me from Theresa's sister. Hooray for re-gifting. I have been using mine extensively over here too. The veggies (vegies?) sound delicious.

April 22, 2011 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger Emilyon said...

Are you freezing any of those veggies? Buying and cooking for one, I've found it's the only way I can use an entire bunch of spinach before it starts getting slimy. I'm actually not sure how well all that stuff would hold up to freezing, but it's a thought.

April 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Hanten said...

Actually yes, we are experimenting with blanching and sauteing things before freezing. I'm sure it will be fine with the frozen spinach, since I have plenty of recipes that can use it. Not so sure about the mass of Rhubarb Chard that we froze.

April 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home