Monday, February 27, 2012

Weeds and Oscars

Nicholas rolled his truck on the I-5 last week, so I took Friday off work to help him tow the thing to Temecula.  It's more than a little beat up, but it still runs, so we're trying to rehabilitate it.  Nick stuck around through most of Saturday for some amateur body work.

We've been pretty much neglecting all our household chores, what with four weekends in a row spent in Santa Barbara renovating the Wilkins house.  As a consequence, weeds have taken over most of the yard.  Nick took the opportunity to harvest a bunch of wild dandelion greens from the front yard.  Sauteed for breakfast along side some ombled eggs, they were delicious.  So much so that Sunday morning I harvested more.  I may just let the whole yard go to the weeds.


Since Sunday evening was likely to be spent, at least by Denise, in front of the Oscar broadcast I decided to make what I thought would be good movie food.  For dinner, a thin crust pizza topped with olive oil, pancetta, roasted garlic, sauteed dandelion greens, crimini mushrooms, red onion and a bunch of mozzarella.  Delicious if I do say so myself.

For dessert, true movie food.  Popcorn!  Actually, bourbon infused caramel popcorn, or at least a variation thereon.  

Months ago, at Thanksgiving I think, Jackie and Mike showed up with a host (or hostess) gift of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey.  Not to look a gift horse in the mouth or anything, but this is the longest any Jack Daniel's product has lasted in my house, and that very nearly includes my Jack Daniel's poker chips.  It is way, WAY too sweet for my tastes.  Consequently it's been mostly untouched while I've tried to come up with some recipes where it can work.  I think it would be tasty in a Tom & Jerry, but those are a lot of work.

Anyway, the Tennessee Honey has now found a home in the caramel corn.  I basically followed the recipe from Foodie Reflections, except I skipped the chocolate, added some chopped almonds and substituted the Honey Jack for traditional bourbon.  It is very good.

Reason enough to watch more movies.

Next up maybe a Tennessee Honey Pecan Pie.  Or maybe Bread Pudding.  This may not last all that long after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home