Sunday, June 26, 2011

More of the Same, but I Have a New Toy and All My Appendages

So, surprise!  This weekend, working in the garden and building retaining walls.  Who'd've thunk it.

We did have some firsts.  Something has been eating all the leaves off our potato plants.  Yes, potatoes come from plants.  Anyway, one of our potatoes was looking particularly dead so I pulled it and looked to see what, if anything, was home.  Pulled out a little red potato about the size of a marble.  But wait, what's that?  Digging a little deeper, I found THREE very nice red-skinned potatoes, ranging is size from racquet- to baseball-size.  This morning they met their maker, uh,  growers.  A little saute with some home grown Anaheim chiles and red onion.  The garlic was was from your basic grocery store, but the egg was from an actual chicken.  Denise gets them from some woman in Temecula.  I need to get my own chickens.


We have also started harvesting some of the fruit of our labor, namely the green plums and apricots.


Apricots are always the focus of a competition between sundry critters and ourselves.  For some reason birds and bugs really like to attack the apricots, but the green plums not so much.  I think the critters are all waiting for the plums to ripen, expecting some color besides green.

Jacob and I busied ourselves for the hot part of the weekend building a compost tumbler.  I had found some plans on the interweb and purchased a used pickle barrel for the project.  An important addition to our family farm, since what we grow best in our garden is compost.


While Jacob and I were busy building, Natalie was put to work weeding the vegetable garden.  The neighbors will be so happy.


Neither Natalie nor Leo appeared to be overly affected by the heat, Leo deciding at one point to play devil dog while Jacob chased him with the camera.







When it was cool enough, Jacob helped me with the retaining wall.  As of this evening, all of the railroad ties for the upper wall are installed, just a few more bolts to put in and some posts to be trimmed.  There's still a lot of work to do, but at least we're at a point where we can start working on restoring the lawn that Leo has destroyed.

Here we have Jacob putting some of the finishing touches on the ties.  I made a long overdue purchase this weekend; or rather, I had Denise make a long overdue purchase.  I have been struggling through this stupid retaining wall project, sawing the ties with a combination of circular and manual cross-cut saws.  The circular saw only cuts about 2.5 inches deep and the ties are about 7" x 9".  So, to cut through a time you need to run the circular saw around all four sides of the tie, then finish cutting through the remainder with a hand saw.  This is time consuming and exhausting.

So now that the project is nearly done I had Denise pick me up a chainsaw.  Cuts through ties like buttah.  I feel so manly.


Finally, this evening another first.  Harvested the first of my rhubarb and paired it up with some of the apricots in what I hope to be a pretty decent Rhubarb-Apricot Crisp (with Splenda for Denise).  Will have to let you know how it turns out.




3 Comments:

Blogger Tee said...

That compost tumbler is genius and those photos of Leo are hilarious! Looks like it was a fun weekend in Temecula :)

June 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been throwing rocks at a rowdy little squirrel who keeps taking one bite of an apricot and then flinging them in the yard.

Love the Leo shots.
Jean

June 27, 2011 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Love the Leo-loose-lips in action shots! Your apricots are beautiful.

June 28, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home