Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Not much of a Mother's Day for Denise, but then she's not my mother.  I did make her some dinner that I hoped she'd enjoy.  Our first dinner with CSA Beef.

As a little appetizer and a way to use up some bok choy, I whipped up some Kim Chi.  This is one of those things that's difficult, when you've never eaten kim chi, but the results were serviceable.  I made a sort of hybrid of this recipe and this recipe, with a few twists of my own.  Used bok choy instead of napa cabbage and because I saw a recipe that called for some additional mustard greens I used some of those too.  Also used some other nameless greens, which I added thinking they were either bok choy or mustard (they looked kind of like a cross-breed of both, but were in fact, neither.)  Instead of the sugar in the second recipe I pureed an apple and some onion in the rice wine vinegar.  The other greens were probably a bad idea, but the bok choy was tasty.

Then to the beef.  The weather cooled off to the point of a light rain this evening, so it turned out to have been a good idea to do a pot roast.  Decided to try a recipe from Giada, Cipollini Onion and Fennel Pot Roast, because we have a fairy ring of fennel growing like crazy in the garden.

Made a side of mashed potatoes/celery root/kohlrabi.  The celery root and kohlrabi were mixed in to lower the carbs.  Potatoes and celery root I've done before with success.  The kohlrabi not so much.  Won't make that mistake again.  On the plus side, the beef was delicious.
Preparing the rub; rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil.
Getting ready for a dip in the pool.
Finished product; pot roast, mashed potatoes/kohlrabi/celery root and gravy.   The gravy is actually all the veggies and drippings from the pot roast, stick blended to a sauce.
All that's left.
The Pims actually joined us for dinner, so we can't take credit for eating the entire roast, and Leo did his share, snacking on little tidbits of fat and gristle.  He is a happy dog!  First meat scraps in the kitchen in months.

2 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

Damn, some of the food on here looks so tasty (even if it is no meat/low carb!). I should know better by now than to read your blog at dinner time. Hope Denise's blood sugar is getting under control and that she had a nice Mother's Day.

May 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Thank you. I did, though cold weather and persistent chores outside meant we didn't get to go hiking. My second mother's day without a child around to celebrate. Kinda sad. Things are getting better but not normal yet.

May 10, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home