Saturday, October 9, 2010

Meatless Monday!

(Sorry, late post.  I wrote this on Tuesday evening, but failed to post it.  But you get the idea, better late than never.`)


Tonight I am relaxing with a Julian Hard Cider.   I saw it on the beer menu at Stone Brewing last night and again tonight in the beer aisle when I stopped in for a few items at Sprouts.  Decided to grab one, which was not inexpensive at $7.99 the 22 oz. bottle.  Got home and split it with Denise.  Delicious!  I may have to make a run down to Julian to visit their operation.

Threw some Meatless Sour Cream Noodle Bake into the oven and watched the Smithsonian Channel wage the final stages of the war in the Pacific while I finished my cider.

(Re. the Meatless Sour Cream Noodle Bake, I made my Mom's recipe, substituting Yves Meatless Ground for the ground beef.  It was pretty good, but I was also using homemade tomato sauce, which is quite a bit sweeter than that canned.  If I do this recipe again I think I'll add a little smoked paprika to give it spicier bite and cut the sweetness a little.)

On the subject of meatless, Monday night Denise and I went to Stone for "Meatless Monday."  I had a Stone Smoked Porter, Pizza Port Cow Stout and a Pliny the Elder Imperial IPA from Russian River Brewing.  Oh, we had vegetarian food also.
Chipotle Hummus with Crostini
Had a very good appetizer of Chipotle Hummus with toasted slices of baguette, I guess technically crostini.  For dinner, Denise order the Citracado Parkway Salad and the soup of the day, which turned out to be something French, Soup du Jour, I think he called it.  (Actually Smoked Eggplant.)   I had the Arrogant Bastard Ale Avocado Tacos.
Arrogant Bastard Avocado Tacos
It made for a pretty pleasant evening.  Thank god though that there are no weekdays the start with "B"; I don't think I could stand a "Beerless B-day!"

Turns out that they do have Tacos Tuesday.  I will definitely have to check that out.

I suppose before closing I should give Denise some kudos for preparing something a little different last weekend.  We have had a boatload of grape tomatoes coming out of the garden this year and somewhere Denise found a recipe for fried grape tomatoes.  They are left on the stem, battered, deep fried and served with a little garlic aioli.
Fried Grape Tomatoes
As she described this recipe to me I couldn't see how you would get batter to stick to an unpeeled tomato, but I supposed it was worth a try.  As the picture shows, the batter did not, in most cases, stick to the tomato, but no matter; it all tasted delicious.

Earlier in the week I had reincarnated my sourdough starter.  It had been in the refrigerator, untouched, for probably at least 6 months and had developed a thick, blackish, leathery skin (possibly an animal friendly alternative to shoe leather) and the starter extracted from beneath the skin was the consistency of spackle.  Nonetheless, I fed it, let it rest for a while and it seemed to recover nicely.  I converted it into a couple loaves of French bread.

So, dinner was somewhat casual and not particularly well balanced; bread with olive oil for dipping, fried tomatoes and garlic aioli.   With a little vino it was not bad at all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Those tomatos look delicious!

October 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Those tomatoes do look very tasty - so you can eat the stems when you cook them that way?? I think I'm going to roast the ones you gave me today and have them w/ pasta, basil and some parm. (I can roast those little tiny ones, right?)

October 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger Hanten said...

Well, I didn't eat them. I don't think that's a good idea. I just stuck them in the aioli and sucked the aioli and crust off the stems.

October 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Ah, yes, of course. So the stems are merely a conduit for getting the deepfriedness to your mouth. I get it.

October 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous DaWife DeNiece said...

And yes, you can roast those grape tomatoes and they are really good. Stems are for looks and much easier to dip in batter and fry with the stems on.

October 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home