Friday, April 1, 2011

Spicy Catfish Stir-Fry

I've been starting to get a little sick of this vegetarian stuff and all the CSA foliage that we've been force feeding ourselves in an effort to keep up with the deliveries.

So, tonight I said screw vegetarianism and whipped out a big-ole-can of pescetarianism.  Stopped at Albertson's and picked up a couple catfish fillets (farm-raised in the USA; I think that earns an "A") and, so that I would not be exclusively buying fish, I threw a couple tall PBRs into the basket.

Odd little side note; as I picked up the hand basket from the rack near the Albertson's entrance, I noticed a sign at the top of the rack - "Use a basket to ease your shopping."  Is that entirely necessary?!  Without the sign would people just stare and go "Now what do you suppose those are for?"

Home, a quick search of the Internet (Google, I hate Bing) and I found an approximation of what I sought; Spicy Catfish Stir-Fry.  I was looking for something analogous to the PF Chang's Hot Fish, "crispy slices of our fresh daily selection in a Sichuan sauce with stir-fried vegetables."  This I found amusing the one time I've had it (the only time I've been to PF Chang's.)
"What's your daily fish selection?"
The waitress appeared  puzzled.  "I don't know, I'm sorry, we don't have a daily fish selection."
"Your Hot Fish.  It says it's your daily fish selection."
"Oh.  Catfish.  It's always catfish."
Anyway, the recipe afforded me the opportunity to use up a bunch more vegies (baby bok choy, yellow onion, spring onions, garlic, cilantro, etc.) and still eat something essentially not vegetarian.  And it turned out pretty tasty.  And photogenic.

One of the many downsides of having Nicholas gone is that I have to function as my own food photographer.  As a consequence, the Nikon is kind of slathered in sesame oil, but at least I got the shot.

1 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

Looks yummy. Even only getting our box every other week we sometimes had a hard time keeping up with it all.

April 3, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home