Sunday, March 20, 2011

Food, Food and More Food

I've been so busy lately that I haven't really got much to blog about, so I'll just post a bunch of food related items that I've been accumulating for a while.

Mise en Place and Biscuits
For lack of a better place to start, we will commence with Biscuits and Gravy.   Having had some leftover sourdough starter hanging around I decided it was a good time for Nicholas to hone his biscuitry skills.

Like all good biscuits and gravy we slathered them with habanero sauce.  The results were pretty delicious, even if they were vegetarian, made with fake breakfast sausage.



One recent weekend I woke up well ahead of my roommates and starting making myself some coffee in Nick's French press.  I had it about finished when a nice little plug (see photo, left) burst out of the bottom, shooting coffee all over the kitchen.  I had the cabinet drawers open, so the coffee ended up all over our pots and pans and I spent the next 30 minutes or so cleaning everything up.  I told Nick I'm going to get an American Press, one that doesn't fold under pressure.


Home-Cured Olive Tapenade
In other food related news, we've made tapenade with my home-cured olives, Squid Ink Risotto, Beet Green Frittata with Manchego Cheese, Pizza with Black Bean Sauce, Calzones, and God knows what all else.


Squid Ink Risotto with Scallops, Shrimp and Calamari
Steamed CSA Brocolli and Sauteed CSA Carrots
Beet Green Frittata with
Manchego Cheese
Pizza with Black Bean Sauce

Mushroom, Spinach & Goat Cheese Calzone (assembly)

Finished Calzone
This weekend we hosted the party for the first-quarter birthdays (Jean, Kathy, Jackie and Donovan) and to wish Nicholas a bon voyage.  

Jon, Terry, Kathy, Jackie, Jean and Joe and the Pims all showed up for celebration.

I cooked what felt like about a dozen different pizzas for the party.

A good time seems to have been had by all.  I just wish there had been more food.




For breakfast this morning, we went for something completely different.  Pizza!  I had some left-over dough at the end of my cooking on Saturday, so I had pre-baked a couple extra crusts and threw them in the freezer.  I pulled one out this morning and made breakfast pizzas, with marinara, fresh mozzarella, egg and grated Parmesan cheese.  Out of the oven, topped it off with a little fresh arugula and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper.


Delizioso!

3 Comments:

Blogger Garage Sailing said...

Was that calzone photo taken with the "baby" setting? Because it looks fabulous. I wish someone had switched on the "baby" setting when they took that photo of me & Kath. (Not that Kath needed it...she, too, looks fabulous.)

March 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

Donovan looks like he's wondering why he had to sit next to the crazy lady.

I made us a frittata with the beet greens Denise gave us on Sunday a.m. It was yum.

March 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger khanten said...

I thought the one close up of the pizza at the end looked like it might have been taken with the baby setting. It's got a nice effect. And, again, I should never read this when hungry. That squid ink/scallop creation looks fabulous!

March 22, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home