Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chili's for the Chileans!

Tonight my lovely wife and I went out to dinner at Chili's to celebrate the successful rescue of the Chilean miners.  Well, celebrating that and the $20 Chili's gift card that my wife won at her office party.

All in all, the rescue was pretty exciting stuff, happy news and a pleasant diversion from all the other CRAP to which one is normally subjected in the daily news cycle.

I toasted the rescue with a traditional Chilean beverage, Newcastle.  Well, actually, I chose Newcastle because it was the only decent brew on tap.  Had the miners been Yardhousians, instead of Chileans,  we would have had a decent assortment of brews with which to toast.

I  went to the Newcastle web site to find some tie in to mining; unfortunately I was stumped by their prompt designed to determine that I was of legal age before entering the web site.  Kept entering my birthday as mm/dd/yy and finally realized that they wanted mm/dd/yyyy.  Once into the web site you are greeted by some beautiful people, welcoming you to "The Block."  The thing is, they are all AMERICANS!  I thought Newcastle was an English brew.   I was hugely disappointed, so much so that I immediately hit the back button and fled.

It turns out that all was not lost.  Upon further Googling, I discovered that in addition to the Newcastle Brewery, Newcastle is also the home of The North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers.

So now it all makes sense.   Go to Chili's, raise a pint of Newcastle and toast the miners and their rescuers.

2 Comments:

Blogger BJackie said...

I am eating my peanut butter-habanero chili cookies for the Chileans.

October 14, 2010 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger khanten said...

My house is chilly. Does that count?

October 15, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home