Sunday, December 5, 2010

Divergence from the Nacho Norm

So I went to the Home Depot Saturday morning and then to Albertsons.

In the course of picking up a few staples (basic food items, not the little metal sticky your papers together thingies), I made the mistake of wandering past the seafood section.

It occurred to me that I have not recently embraced the pescetarian side of my Gumbitarianism.  Why should I go cold turkey after Thanksgiving when I can ease the transition with a little seafood.  So, I picked up a wild caught (or so they say) salmon fillet, wild caught Pacific Albacore fillet and a half dozen live oysters.

Saturday evening I shucked the oysters and had them on the half shell with a little lemon, horseradish and cayenne pepper sauce.

Washed them down with copious quantities of beer, of course, including a Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout and a Stone Imperial Russian Stout.

I offered Leo an oyster as a treat and he was less than enthusiastic, spitting it out on the floor in fact.   He was making the funniest face when I tried to get him to take the thing.  His lips were quivering like he thought the thing was going to bite.  It says something about the type of people who are willing to eat raw oysters when even a dog won't eat one.  Eventually, I scraped the giant booger looking thing off the floor and into a frying pan.  Once it was cooked he decided it was safe to eat and not so bad after all.

I had planned on making nachos to have while watching the Bruins stink it up against the Trojans, but now I had this fish that I needed to do something with.  So, I hit upon the following solution.

Seared Albacore Nachos
  • Oil
  • Wonton Skins
  • Smoked Salt (Applewood Smoked, in this case)
  • Black Pepper, fresh ground
  • Albacore Fillet
  • Wasabi
  • Mayonnaise
  • Soy Sauce
  • Sriracha
  • Avocado
  • Edamame
Season albacore fillet with smoked salt, ground black pepper and a little wasabi powder.  Sear on BBQ grill a few minutes on each side.

Make a wasabi sauce by whisking together wasabi powder, soy sauce and mayo.  Cook edamame per package directions.

Fry wonton skins in oil until lightly browned.  Season with smoked salt.  Arrange wonton skins on an oven proof platter.  Shred albacore and scatter over wontons.  Scatter on some edamame.  Place in a warm (250 degree) oven for about 5 minutes, just to heat everything up a little.  Remove from oven, scatter diced avocado, wasabi and sriracha sauces over the top of the nachos and serve.

These were pretty delicious, if I do say some myself.  I think if I do this again I will probably add a few other toppings; possibilities include radish sprouts, shaved bonito flakes, cilantro and maybe a little of that red smelt roe that I usually put in my California Rolls.

For tonight it will be back to vegetarian food I think.  We some some assorted fingerling potatoes that Denise is dying to roast and I believe we will be having them with Chick Pea Cutlets, a recipe stolen from Tee's Vegalicious blog.   Maybe with a little mushroom gravy and a nice Cabernet.

Will keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tee said...

How were the chickpea cutlets?? Nick and I made your focaccia bread yeserday! It was delicious!! http://vegalicioustee.blogspot.com/2010/12/white-bean-soup-and-fig-pizza.html

December 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger BJackie said...

I can't believe you gave Leo an oyster. Funny pics.

December 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home