Happy New Year's Resolutions!
Belated Happy New Year! But then, I did wish everyone an early Happy New Year in my previous post, so I'm not going to stress about being late in this case.
I have not, in fact, made any New Year's Resolutions, New Year's Resolutions being only so much crap. I don't know that I've ever kept for one more than about a day or two.
This year, Nick, sometime around New Year's Day, was reading his list of "101 things to do in 1001 Days", being promoted by a web site, Day Zero Project. I decided I like the concept much better than resolutions. This is much simpler; making a list of all the things that you're always saying you want to do some day and giving yourself a time frame to get them done.
Now I assume the list is supposed to be things you WANT to do, but I have include things that I HAVE to do; otherwise, I'll never get 101 things done.
So, anyway here is my first pass at the 101 things I'm going to do in the next 1001 days (actually, next 995, because 6 days have already elapsed since I completed the list.) The list needs some reflection and probable adjustment, because I'm not sure this is all humanly possible, especially for someone in my condition (and by that I mean married.)
101 Thing to do Before September 28, 2013
- Don't die (this would make the rest rather difficult)
- Finish the master bed/bathroom remodel
- Visit the Smithsonian
- Go somewhere where I need my passport (my passport has nary a stamp on it)
- Finish reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series
- Learn to make really good sourdough bread
- Eat Chicago-style pizza in Chicago
- Weigh what is says on my driver's license
- Bench-press my body weight (i.e. lose 150 lbs)
- Double my gas mileage
- Learn a language
- Hike in Yosemite
- Visit Yellowstone
- Hike to the summit of San Jacinto Peak
- Cure some olives (no matter what ails them)
- Read "Lost Moon" by Jim Lovell
Use the public library- Take a photography class
- Make cheese
- Attend a brewing class (Nicholas has kindly provided me with tickets to "Strong Ales" at Stone Brewing Company for January 24, so if I can avoid #1 for that long, #29 should be in the bag.)
- Run a 5K (I also had run a 10K, but since that's just doing a 5K two more times I decided it didn't count)
- Visit Death Valley
- Attend Shakespeare festival in Ashland, OR
- Make tortillas from scratch
- Grow rhubarb
- See a play
- Stalk a celebrity
- Learn a new card game
- Tour a civil war battlefield
- Sample bourbon at a distillery
- Take a cooking class
- Learn to grow olives
- Plan our house remodel
- Design an outdoor kitchen
- Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity
- Develop an excellent black-bean burger recipe
- Blow glass
- Learn to make neon signs
- Have dinner in Idyllwild
- Swim in the ocean
- Grow my own barley
- Brew a beer from scratch (see #41)
- Make pastrami (from scratch)
- Digitize my LPs
- Build a media server
- Digitize our videos
- Digitize our photos
- Manage our investments
- Rent a storage locker and clean out the house
- Build a storage shed
- Build paver walkways
- Build retaining walls
- Build a brewing station for storing all my stuff
- Build a proofing/fermenting box
- Reprogram my universal remote
- Install an IR remote repeater
- Get a remote controlled AV power supply
- Investigate solar power for our house
- Investigate a solar tube for the hallway in our house
- Hike in the Grand Canyon, maybe stay at Phantom Ranch
- Have dinner at Cold Springs Tavern
- Host a Feast of the Seven (or more) International Fish Dishes
- Let someone else cook my birthday dinner
- Avoid the urge to dye my hair/get a tattoo/buy a corvette/dump my wife for a younger woman
- Encourage Denise to dye her hair/get a tattoo/buy a corvette/dump her husband for a younger man
- Decorate with a home-grown Christmas tree
- Improve the lighting in this house
- Mow the grass with a push mower (don't tell anyone at Toro)
- Probably not again in this lifetime
- Learn massage
- Get a massage (71-a; get back waxed first)
- Ski
- Waterski
- Ride a bike (get a bike)
- Dress up and go out
- Play tennis
- Shoot hoops
- Use or lose the boat
- Listen to podcasts/audiobooks on the commute
- Carpool
- Ride bike to the market(s)
- Walk to the mall for lunch
- Use or lose the golf clubs
- Visit Anchor Brewing
- Visit Alpine Brewing
- Build music boxes with the movements I've had forever
- Find a nice spot for Dannie's cremains
- Organize my recipes
- Create a reading nook
- Figure out how to keep Leo from getting so muddy when it rains
- Organize the garage so we can get a car in it and still use it as a workshop
- Install a dust collection system
- Get a new bed
- Have my knives professionally sharpened
- Plant ground cover on the hill
- Design/plant a kitchen herb garden
- Build a greenhouse
- Convert Nick's old room into my office/exercise/reading/media room
- Use Wii Fit more often
- Join a CSA
- Buy locally, sustainably raised, meat
Contigencies (since I will almost certainly have to drop some of the above)
- Eat a Twinkie with a straw
- Stalk of celery (in case stalking a celebrity doesn't work out)
- More to come...
As of this evening, I can strike #17. I now have a card at the Temecula Public Library and checked out my first book since leaving Flagstaff in 1995. The book in question? "Bonk" by Mary Roach. I just finished "Stiff" and enjoyed it so much I plan to have myself composted, assuming that Promessa has a licensee somewhere in the United States by the time that I shuffle off this mortal coil. Who knows, I could, quite literally, be pushing up daisies.
But enough for now. I'll go into this all more later.
Next post - update on all the food news from the past several weeks, including the Pumpkin-Seitan Enchiladas.
Oh, and BTW, I posted a short update on Jake's Rehab with his latest facial x-ray. In case anyone is interested.
Bye for now.
But enough for now. I'll go into this all more later.
Next post - update on all the food news from the past several weeks, including the Pumpkin-Seitan Enchiladas.
Oh, and BTW, I posted a short update on Jake's Rehab with his latest facial x-ray. In case anyone is interested.
Bye for now.
6 Comments:
Re: #64. How about 1 out of 4? And I'm not saying which one.
Maybe we'll make a list too. 101 is a lot to come up with though...
I hope our old mower will aid you in achieving #68. It hasn't been used in about 10 years so prob'y needs a bit of TLC.
6 and 34 are my favorites!! I'm looking forward to the pumpkin seitan enchiladas recipe :)
Re. #44 -- I have a like-new ION USB turntable that is yours if you'd like to have it. Jon gave it to me for Christams a couple of years ago. We digitized 2 albums, and I was not a fan of the process. Want it?
Terry
hello from a friend of Jackie's... i saw this awesome list and couldn't resist sharing a couple resources in case it helps you achieve more than less- i hope you don't mind.
re: 38-- Lili Lakich's neon studio is next door to my office in dtLA. She's an amazing neon artist who recently started doing workshops for beginners: www.lakich.com
and re:100-- www.inlandempirecsa.com A friend in Redlands recommends it, and thru one of the related farms she does #101.
good luck- it sounds like a (mostly) fun adventure!
paula d
Thanks Beany/Paula.
www.lakich.com looks pretty cool.
Our check is actually in the mail to the Inland Empire CSA, so I should be posting about that soon.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home